Monday, June 19, 2006

Distortions n Distractions

I just finished reading "Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda" by Noam Chomsky. I don't know how I feel about this since it greatly conflicts with my overzealous "claim to lame" and illiteracy.

Aside from that, it was a great little read (really less than 90 pages.. more of a pamphlet). It took the small of amount of ideas/thoughts I already have on the state of our media, politics and perception and expanded greatly upon them. He delivers this with bite and wit so its a pretty entertaining read. The topics and themes discussed are perfectly related to my script which I have been slackin on till recently. "The Fog Of War" and this book have a given me huge inspiration.

In the book he consistantly refers to "the bewildered herd", and how it is the job of the ruling elite to keep the "the bewildered herd" (or the general masses) distracted from what is of actual importance, or from being real participants in democracy. Give them something else to occupy their thoughts and concern, like the Superbowl

Ironically while I am reading... I have music on in the background and, on mute, The NBA Finals are on. I had to put the book down half way through because, well it was a great game and it went into overtime with The Heat coming from behind to win by 1 point, and now lead the series 3-2. This after the Maverics looked like they were dominating the Heat, and the Championship was all but sealed with a 2-0 lead.

What was I talking about? I got caught up in the action... :P

So yeah.. I might be reading more but my lameness still prevails. I'll still flaunt my illiteracy like a 40yr old first-time newlywed 15 yrs in-the-waiting flashes her engagement ring.

A great resurgence for me though. I will have to read more of his, um stuff. But 1st "Imperial Hubris" and "A History of God: The 4000 year quest of Judaism, Christiantity, and Islam" is next. - I can't believe I have actual books sitting next to me that are waiting to be read (not just a list that I will never get to!)... What's next a boyfriend? Insanity

Currently listening to:
Biograph
By Bob Dylan

No comments: