Saturday, February 18, 2006

Oh Canada! Cometh! - Raise the Red Maple!

Once upon a time Canada was nothing but the United States ugly shy step-sister. Or at least this was my view of it, and of the rest of the world's, of course, because everyone thinks like me.

I pictured nothing but Ice and Mounties. Afterall it is the country that delivered us Celine Dion, Shania Twain and that group that sang the "mmm mmm mmm mmm" song . What could possibly be good about this white-washed and white-covered place.

Then something happened... It probably started much sooner, but this was the real turning point, the spark that opened up everything else great that might have even already been there.

Dubya!

The name alone screams of wit and intelligence doesn't it? And makes me want to cower away to another country and yell out "That's not all of us... I swear!" It wasn't until I realized that Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Wolf Parade, and the Stars were some of the most played bands on my iPod that I realized its Canada time! My friend and I joked about moving to Canada after "Dubya part deux" - what's sad is that it really wasn't much of a joke, the desire was certainly there.. But then, there is all that ice! hahahaha

I think it happened almost as a rule of nature. The world , or at least North America needed some sense of Balance. With Dubya, Creed, Hoobastank, Yellowcard, Britney, Paris, and a whole host of other mindless idiots becoming inescapable, Canada needed to act as counterbalance and step their shit up, and they did!

Thank You Canucks! No longer will I only see you as the land that gave us Celine Dion

and My heart will go on


-sidenote: I also saw a small gay movie from Canada that was pretty good. Most gay movies really suck, and not in a good way!

1 comment:

coryandfarah said...

It may be time to saddle up at make a run for the border, Mike, eh. I'm all about Canada ever since my north-of-the-border friend showed me how the Canadian flag is really just an unrolled joint, eh! You like that, don't you, eh? As long as you are not talking about any province east of B.C., Canada is not that bad of place, eh. National health care, the beauty of nature, relaxed (not so high-strung as you know who) people, an international mindset, safety, the beer store, and all the maple syrup one can ask for, Canada is a great place to live, eh. I've liked all of the Canucks that I've ever met and I too am a fan, eh. I haven't seen the good gay flic from Canada but I'm guessing that it be a good one, eh. A Paramountie picture, right, eh? (Okay. That was dumb--not even worth writing, I know... And yes, I overdid the "eh" thing but I really do like Canada)