Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Short a few circuits

So it has been a while since I posted a blog. Its been a while since I have been able to get to my computer.

Last Wednesday we had a whole built in desk and shelve unit installed in the loft. The parents are fixing up the place and Im happy for them. I confirmed multiple times, that the contractors would be here on Wednesday, and that I would have an early shift on Tuesday and be able to take apart my computer AFTER I got home from work.

So I got home Tuesday and my Beautiful Mac G4, my baby, my child, my love, whom I have never had problems with, was already taken apart for me. I felt a little bad because I told them I would do it, and they went ahead and did it for me.

Wednesday after work, it was exciting to see the new countertop in the kitchen and the new cabinets, and the new built-in in the loft. Everything looked nice, and my parents were excited. After taking it all in and talking with them, I went to work putting "my love" back together. When I pressed the power button... nothing. Reconnected, checked the power and all the connections, still not a sign of life... my baby was not even crying for help. I did everything I could think of, checked the manual and, nothing, not even a little whimper

NOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT THE PRECIOUS

So I ask the old man "Did you turn the computer off before you took it apart", and he responded "Oh I didn't know it was on". Now when My Precious is in sleep mode, the monitor is black but the ON button shimmers in a radiant white light when darkness falls and other lights fail.

After some reading I find out that the problem could be a battery. It clearly seems a power problem since when I hold the ON button the Elfin light shimmers, but once I let go it fades to darkness. So I buy a new battery the next day hoping this will breathe new life into My Precious. It fails, and I ask my dad again "Did you turn off the computer before you took it apart?" but this time he responds "I must have. That can't be the problem"

WOW he changed his story! He backtracked and even tried to suggest that problem is from a completely different source. How old is he? It felt like questioning a child!

Old man lies, He takes the Precious away from us!

Well, after taking it to the Apple Store it turns out that the solution was really simple. There is a reset switch inside. I must have been delirious, because I was looking for a reset switch inside and couldn't find it. RIght when I explained the problem to the guy his first question was "Did you short it or unplug it?"

NO master, We would never do that to My Precious.

So I got home and hooked it up. When I got there, I found that the rest of my computer was all hooked up and plugged in, I just needed to attach it to the tower, But of course I look at my speakers, which has color coded male connectors that also has shapes guide and direct anyone to easily hook it up properly, and prevent things from going in the wrong hole, or so it would seem. The POWER cord was jammed into the female connector of the right speaker, which now does not work.

Sometimes my parents surprise me. They can be very competent in certain areas, but other areas which seem foolproof they seem to lack logic, or missing a few precious brain cells

1 comment:

coryandfarah said...

That's why I always like to do things by myself, otherwise I don't know where anything is! Maybe I have trust issues with people and my stuff!? Glad that your computer was OK in the end.